This page is for recipes you can’t live without. Or that I just happened to post, and to keep them easy-to-find.
Note, this recipe is NOT low-fat, and don’t try to make it so. As Wordnerd says, ‘trust me.’ It’s good hot off the stove, even better the next day.
- 1-2 lb ground beef
- 1 lb real bacon
- 3 cans kidney beans, light and dark (2+1 or 1+2)
- Large can each of diced and crushed tomatoes
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1 each green, red, yellow bell pepper
- chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, corn meal
- Drain and dump the beans into a large stock pot. Pour in the tomatoes with juice and set to medium heat. Cover with chili powder, about 3 TBSP.
- Fry bacon crispy, cool on paper towel.
- Chop peppers & toss ’em in the pot
- Sautee chopped onion and garlic in the bacon grease. Toss ’em in the pot when translucent.
- Brown ground beef, sprinkle with chili powder, salt, pepper. Drain and add it to the pot.
- Crumble bacon into pot, stir.
- Taste test. Season the way you like it, I usually add cayenne pepper, more chili powder (used most of a 1.7 oz jar for this batch), salt, pepper, and a couple teaspoons of brown sugar. Sprinkle in a handful of cornmeal while stirring to add body.
- Simmer for 1-5 hours. Serve with sour cream & grated cheese. Great over rice or with corn bread.
There, that’s as much as I can remember….